In this view you can add, edit and delete the distribution rules used in the Spreading function in the Budgeting module (see Edit budget data). Distribution rules are used to spread an amount among a set number of periods/cells (usually 12 months).
The Portal contains some predefined distribution rules.
To create a distribution rule:
- Click Settings.
- Click Distribution rules. Existing rules are displayed in the list.
- Click New row. A new row is added to the list.
- Enter a name for the rule in the Name column.
- The default setup is 12 weight numbers; one for each month in the year. You can, however, add or remove value fields by clicking +/- after the row.
NOTE: The number of periods/cells in a rule must match the number of columns in the budget where it is meant to be used in. If it does not match, the distribution rule will not be available in the Using distribution rule list in Spreading.
- Enter the weight numbers in the cells.
Example 1: If you want to spread the amount evenly to the first month of each quarter, enter 1 in cells 1, 4, 7 and 10. Enter 0 in the remaining cells.
Example 2: If you want to spread the amount evenly, except for April and August, where the amount should be doubled: Enter 2 in cells 4 and 8, and 1 in the remaining cells.
- Click Save.
The distribution rule will be available to all users.